One of the biggest factors that prevents people from pursuing straight teeth via dental braces is the stigma. Bulky metal braces are frequently associated with children, movie villains, and other unpopular characters across media, and some of us may have less than fond memories of being made fun of for our braces in the schoolyard.
Despite the bad reputation that braces get, there are plenty of cool, successful, attractive people who have a history with braces. Famous people want straight teeth too, and a variety of actors, musicians, and other celebrities can attest to the power of braces. Here are nine of the most famous faces that have had braces during their celebrity careers.
A list of names you might recognize
- Miley Cyrus: Many child actors have sported braces during their careers and Miley Cyrus is no exception. Cyrus used lingual braces to straighten her teeth during her time filming Hannah Montana. Lingual braces sat behind her teeth, allowing the young star to undergo her dental treatment discreetly.
- Oprah Winfrey: One of the few people on this list to receive adult braces, Oprah Winfrey spoke openly about disliking her natural teeth. As a result, she began an Invisalign treatment designed to improve her smile comfortably and subtly.
- Nicolas Cage: Nicolas Cage has done some damage to his teeth during his acting career, including having two teeth removed prior to a 1984 role. He has received several orthodontic treatments over the years to remedy this damage, including braces and Veneers.
- Dakota Fanning: Another child star who has made a name for herself on the big screen in her adulthood, Dakota Fanning underwent extensive orthodontic treatment to improve her smile. The procedures included braces, expanders, and headgear. Though it may seem excessive to some, the treatment seems to have done the trick and left her with a beautiful smile to dazzle the silver screen.
- Kendall Jenner: Kendall Jenner has dazzled the world as a reality TV star and model, but before she was walking runways, she was flashing braces at red carpet appearances. Jenner started her braces treatment at age thirteen, graduating to invisible braces at age 17. As an adult, her smile lands her on magazine covers and catwalks.
- Justin Bieber: Justin Bieber was a heartthrob from the moment he debuted at age fourteen, and by age sixteen he had taken the pop music world by storm. Coincidentally, age sixteen was when Bieber decided to start using Invisalign as well. To this day, fans enamor the singer’s smile.
- Prince Harry: Even the Duke of Sussex himself has struggled with crooked teeth. As a teenager, Prince Harry wore braces for over a decade, giving him a smile fit for a royal.
- Gwen Stefani: Beginning her braces treatment at the age of 30, Gwen Stefani made up for lost time after being unable to afford braces prior to her fame. Over a decade later, she is still sporting a fantastic smile.
- Emma Watson: Emma Watson, beloved for her role in the Harry Potter franchise, has a few experiences with braces. Not only did she have braces prior to her breakout role as Hermione Granger, but she wore braces in between filming the third and fourth Harry Potter movies.
Some celebrities get braces without anyone knowing
Though there are several celebrities who have had very public experiences with braces, there are also celebrities with braces who you would never suspect. Many of the celebrities on this list relied on invisible braces or other new braces technology to keep their orthodontic treatment more discreet. Some celebrities keep their treatment so discreet; the public never knows about it at all. When comparing metal braces vs. clear braces, clear braces are the most cosmetic option
Want to get braces like a celebrity? Maybe invisible braces are the option for you. Though Invisalign and lingual braces are not ideal for all candidates, there is a good chance your next set of braces may be completely invisible.